It’s been a while.
I know it’s been a while when Chris (who by the way never shows any interests in this blogging business) would come up to me and ask how come I don’t blog anymore. So here goes…
A friend of mine went on a business trip to Germany in late June. He asked me if I wanted any souvenir type things, I said yarn. Half-jokingly of course. And to my surprise, he returned with this big bag of yarn. According to him, the yarn store was next to Beethoven’s home. Fancy stuff.
Some are single ply yarn for felting, some are superwash wool. Not quite enough for any major projects. And I have no idea quite what to do with them yet. With superwash stuff, maybe I’ll get some more superwash worsted weights and make a stripey sweater. According to him, some lady at the yarn store told him that about 5 balls would make a sweater… and they were about 110 yards per ball (hmm… yeah… no). But anyway, that was quite unexpected surprise (as I said, I was kinda kidding when I asked him).
Next in business, a pullover I’ve been working on and off since beginning of July. I bought this bright red tweedy cabled sweater sometime in winter from a thrift store. Unfortunately, I never took the “before” picture before I took it apart. I never quite got around unraveling them all the way. I disassembled it to pieces and put it away for a long time. And I finally got around taking it apart completely and started on top down raglan henley. The “original” sweater was extra small (I know, eeks) with double strands of single ply fingering weight (or that’s my closest estimation). So, I decided to separate the strands of yarn, hoping to get more yardage out of it, and now I’m knitting it by using size 3 needle.
Actually those pictures were taken early in July. The sweater is further along since. I have finally joined the bandwagon of multiple WIP’s and now I have this sweater as my “background distraction”. I’ve been only working on in between projects and/or when I’m bored and tired of other things. We’ll see how long it actually takes.
Something finished! I made Hemlock Ring Blanket for Flo for Christmas.
I used Cascade 220 Superwash, double stranded, on size 10 needles. I basically ran out of yarn after 6 skeins midst of binding off, so I had to buy another skein to finish. If it wasn’t for yarn shortage, it would’ve taken about a week but it took more like 2. Regardless, it was definite instant gratification. I do plan on making another one for Grandma W. In fact, I have yarn for that all ready to go as well. One thing I have to complain though.. is I hate blocking. I did half-assed blocking, just so I can store it away for now. I plan on trying to really block it well before Christmas, before I start wrapping gifts. … perhaps that’s why I don’t knit much lace. I like knitting lace – just can’t bring myself to the tedious work of blocking.
Last but not the least, I started on Liesl about a couple of days ago. I’m using Debbie Bliss Cotton Silk Aran that Jen gracious sent me a while ago. It’s a pretty quick knit so far, though my concern is the fit. I’m kinda in between sizes, so I’m making a size up, counting on the fact that I’m a tight knitter. In theory, it should work (yeah, I checked my gauge, it’s slightly tighter than suggested), but at the same time, with cotton/silk blend, I wonder how the weight is going to effect the stretchiness. I suppose we’ll see once it’s all finished.
Done and done. For now anyway.